Sunday 27 October 2013

Man of Steel Review!


Man of Steel review: What an absolute Kent! So as you may know I went to see Man of Steel and as a person who has been nothing but let down by previous Superman installments I was rather excited to get to see this latest adaptation hoping to spark some kind of flame for the Man of Steel. We all know the story of Superman and where he came from, he's an alien sent to earth from the planet Krypton by his parents before the planet is completely destroyed, the father played by the ever boring Russell Crowe (and boy does he deliver in the boring department) speech after speech Crowe bores the audience to shreds as he delivers more exposition than I thought humanly possible, infact most of this movie is just exposition. Flashbacks to when Clark Kent was a boy growing up, stories of Krypton's end, stories of what happened with the bad guys after being banished, it just always goes away from the plot to go "Oh yeah we forgot to mention this part" So cut to exposition 467 Clark growing up with his adopted earth parents, one of which is played by Kevin Costner.... YEAH! KEVIN FUCKING COSTNER!! I mean when was the last time he did anything you wanted to watch?..... Don't worry, I'll wait!

So Kevin Costner is doing his best Aunt May from the original Spider Man trilogy impression and telling Clark Kent all the important and extremely cheesy life lessons that will make him the hero he will one day become. As a child Clark uses his powers sometimes and people are scared of what he could become but it somehow never gets made public, why? God fucking knows, I mean wait till you see what he does and there's like one conversation about it and then never gets mentioned again, the kids in his school still bully him, I know I fucking wouldn't, I'd be like "Nu uh that kid is strong as fuck, don't hit him!" But no this is 'Murrica and common sense has no place in 'Murrica!
So, fully grown Clark Kent is a bit of a wanderer travelling round doing shit jobs here and there but getting into some crazy situation that requires him to save some lives thus creating a trail of rumours and urban legends and in step Lois Lane played by the lovely Amy Adams and I fucking love Amy Adams, she is great in most movies but here she tries to be a ballsy Lois Lane but then very quickly just becoming the damsel in distress at the drop of a hat, kinda not a solid character, at the start she's all like "We gonna stop measuring our dicks guys?" Then within minutes it's like "Oh no I'm in trouble please save me!" I seen it as quite lazy character writing and was a tad disappointed in our darling Amy for being a Pepper Potts bitch!
So there's these people from Krypton who want to take over earth to rebuild their own planet there, (Wait! Isn't this the exact plot of Transformers: Dark of the Moon?) this here is our villain General Zod! And in Zod we trust, here is the redeeming factor in this film (apart from Henry Cavill's awesome bod) these villains are badass as fuck! Zod is a menacing, evil, Hitler type who will genocide all of earth to save his people. I love this guy and after a quick look on IMDB I realised that he's the KKK hillbilly from Bad Boys 2 which he was brilliant in also but in this he's so different you'd never know it's the same guy, he delivers in this film and I actually wanted him to kick Superman's ass, which I suppose he kind of did but we'll get to the finale later. Then there's this bitch baddie who just kicks everyone's ass at lightning speed, which I enjoyed until the Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) level of CGI stepped in and kinda ruined it, not completely but a good percentage.
As for Superman himself, played by Henry Cavill, now this is my first Cavill experience and I'm just going to be honest, I'm not impressed. It became apparent early in the movie that he wasn't really acting, he was more just listening, I mean the young Clark Kent in the flashbacks did more actual acting than Cavill and young Clark Kent was pretty good too but Cavill barely has any proper scenes where he can truly perform, it's either flashback or CGI, it genuinely wouldn't surprise me if he filmed all his parts in one day as most of the scenes are short and underdeveloped or fight scenes which he probably wouldn't need to be there for anyways they just super impose him flying through the sky or fighting bad guys. It's hard to judge how his performance was as he wasn't ever really giving it anything, there was one scene where he was supposed to display emotion at a tragedy in his life and he just kind of screamed "Noooo" and that was it, it cuts back to him telling the story (yup, more exposition btw) and he's just standing there saying his lines with little to no emotion! I'm not saying he was bad though, well... maybe I am but at least he has the award winning buff bod!
Now for that finale, the long winded, over the top, ridiculously badly CGI'd, long winded, over the top, long winded, finale! First off Superman battles it out with Zog while literally flying through nearly every building in Metropolis killing Zod knows how many innocent civilians, building after building collapses and Superman ain't saving shit, he just wants to kick some Zod ass! I'm all down for watching cities crumble, Transformers love it, The Avengers Amazing, 9/11... Well not so much. This takes everything you've already seen and does it times ten and after a while I'm just thinking ok I've saw the collapsing buildings now, anything else? Oh you're in outer space and now you've broke a satellite. Why am I so disappointed by this much destruction? I seriously don't know but it's just repetitive and unexciting.
All in all not a great movie, like Michael Bay on steroids it's not that good. I didn't relate to any of the characters at all, infact I was routing for the bad guy this time which I never EVER do. Superman can jump on Davey's dick!
4/10 a sore disappointment Hoped for something better.

I am The Dame
This is my opinion
Go Fuck Yourself.

No comments: