Sunday 26 April 2015

Avengers: Age of Ultron Review

Avengers: Age of Ultron Review

If you know me and anything about me you will know that I am Marvel crazy, not so much a comic book geek but definitely an MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) geek no doubt. I remember the first time I saw Iron Man and it was on a pirate copy (which I probably still have somewhere) and I remember thinking to myself "This may be one of thee best superhero movies I've ever saw in my life... I hope they make more!" and little did I know that we were just on the verge of something spectacular, miraculous, glorious and unstoppable!





Iron Man was released in 2008, followed up by The Incredible Hulk starring Edward Norton, who obviously was recast later on and replaced with the ever loveable Mark Ruffalo and my first glimpse into what the MCU was building towards came at the end of The Incredible Hulk movie when Tony Stark talks to General Ross mentioning the fact that they are "Putting a team together." and even on hearing that sentence I had no idea that we would be buiding up to where we are now.

So..... Fast forward through the timeline and most of The Avengers have had firsts, seconds and some even a third and we've had one of the greatest team up movies of all time in history ever, Avengers Assemble. So how do we follow that up? Step in Avengers: Age of Ultron and also step in a lot of fucking swearing from me (despite how Cap feels about it!) Well HOE-LEE-SHIIIIIIITT!! Age of muthafucking Ultron. Now as not to spoil anything I will try to tread very carefully but I'm not very good at that because GODDAMN DO I GET EXCITED!!  I will be assuming though that you have followed the MCU and have saw The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy, not that you need to but when it comes to these smaller details that might go right over your head, you definitely need to be in the know for the end game here but I will get to that later, for now let's just stick with this movie.

The movie kicks off right into the action in the sleepy mountain town of Sokovia where The Avengers have got together to clean up some of the mess left over from The Winter Soldier and by that I mean Hydra, (those pesky fuckers just won't go away) but if you remember the after credits scene from The Winter Soldier, Hydra now has it's dirty little mits on Loki's sceptre and has been using it to experiment on humans, or more specifically Pietro and Wanda Maximoff giving them enhanced abilities, Wanda has mind fucking and Pietro is fucking fast. I will be honest it's a great opening scene, it really opens up the dynamic of the team compared to all the bickering of the first one. They work as a unit, they communicate and sometimes they even swear, that is unless Captain America tells them not to! Immediately there's a bond that's building between Black Widow and Hulk and it's done so well throughout the movie that I really understand why she didn't end up with Hawkeye or Cap in the past, I won't ruin it but it is quite a nice scene later in the movie. Obviously though this being the opening scene we all know they have to accomplish this mission, with a few scrapes here and there but if they didn't do this mission then we wouldn't have a plot in any way.

They return home to their all new pimped out Avengers Tower which once was Stark tower but is now the base of operations for the team and has all the amenities. Stark has the sceptre and before Thor returns it to Asgard Stark wants to have a bit of a poke around and see if he can find anything from it that could be.... I don't want to say useful, because I just think that Stark is just a guy who needs to know everything about everything even if it causes more trouble for the world. Lo and behold though Stark does find something and it is something he thinks can be useful to help him finish his defence programme he has been working on. As he puts it "A suit of armour round the world!" and after leaving our wee J.A.R.V.I.S to run some trials to integrate this new technology into Ultron the Avengers go and have themselves a shindig, a soiree of sorts but while they are enjoying doing what superheroes do at parties, like seeing who is worthy to lift Mjolnir (Thor's hammer) giving us a great scene (I'm not gonna continue pointing out every great scene cos they are all fucking great) J.A.R.V.I.S gets a hit and manages to get Ultron to come to life and with this comes his ability to take over any programmes and machinery and he instantly jumps straight into one of Iron Man's peace keeping drone robots from The Iron Legion and presents himself to The Avengers with some of the greatest, most menacing speeches I've heard.

All up to speed with how Ultron comes about and relativey spoiler free, the action kicks off. I'm not gonna go through the whole plot but I will share how I felt the movie went and how did I feel? Well.... this movie is the fucking shit! THEE FOOOKANN SHEEEEEEEET! There is so much going on in this movie that I almost overdosed on action but a good overdose, like the reaction from too much acid. You get scared that the feeling will never stop but you worry that it will and you won't feel the rush that you are currently feeling anymore. Every character is played out so well and Hawkeye pretty much rules the movie (compensation for being brain washed for most of the first Avengers) and to go back to The Hulk, Black Widow relationship it builds so beautifully that the only thing you want is for the two of them to just figure it all out and get together (Ross and Rachael all over again) The twins do start off working for Ultron until they find out his masterplan and do a flippity floppity, decide to team up with The Avengers. Ultron as a villain though is great and has so much character for a robot that you can't help but love him, he is so intelligent and has some great speeches and even makes references to the bible and God which is kinda cool considering a sentient being such as Ultron would have any kind of belief or knowledge of Christianity makes him even more menacing and Ultron's end game ends up with us getting The Vision who is a great addition to the MCU and I hope to see loads more of him in future movies.

The movie as whole is superb, you will enjoy pretty much every moment of it and it is so action packed but just the right amount (unlike a certain Man of Steel) The team are great together and every person in it is a major player, no Avenger gets a back seat despite all the new additions to the team and you can really get on board with them and all the new gadgets, moves and powers that are introduced and it does get you questioning what is next for the MCU and where are we going to go? Well, I'll close this with an education for you....

We are currently in Phase 2, the next release will be Ant-Man which should close up Phase 2 quite nicely. Then on to Phase 3 with a brief mention of the end game which is noticed by Thor and that end game is The Avengers: The Infinity Wars with the Mad Titan, Thanos who is on the search for all of The Infinity Gems to give him absolute power, the Infinity Gems consist of the teseract from Avengers Assemble, the gem in Loki's sceptre (which is revealed in this movie) the power gem from Guardians of The Galaxy and the Aether from Thor: The Dark World. Once Thanos gets all of these, plus whatever more we have to be introduced to, we are in for one fucking big adventure and I cannot stop pissing in my pants every time I even think about it. To round up this long ass review/education I must give my rating and I swear to fucking God this movie is a strong 9/10..... Fuck it, nah, I'll take the risk 10/10. The visuals, the acting, the writing, the characters, the fucking everything is just done so well that I can't even bare it. I feel like these movies are my Infinity Gems and once I have them all I will be more powerful than anyone or anything in the universe! If you haven't seen Age of Ultron yet then please do, it's kind of a stepping stone to the future of the MCU and a crucial part of the stories to come but even though it is that, it's still a great standalone movie so don't let your lack of knowledge stop you from going to see it because it is definitely worth the ticket price of £58 or whatever extortionate price cinemas charge these days. This truly is thee Age Of Ultron and brace yourself, Ultron tattoos are coming... FROM EVERYWHERE!!

I am The Dame
This is my review
Go Fuck Yourself!!

No comments: